THIS!... is the one of oldest domesticated fruit tree "OLIVE TREE" from the Oleacea europaea family !
Ahhhh … the fabulous olive tree! Along with dates, grapes and figs, the olives was the basis of the diet of the ancient populations of the Mediterranean basin. No need to live in the south to enjoy an olive tree (Olea europaea). Grown in pots, you will have the possibility of bringing it indoors in winter, as soon as the temperatures drop below 0°C. The olive tree is a very aesthetic tree, with persistent foliage, which grows slowly (10 to 15cm per year) and which has a very long lifespan. Oliiiive Oil :)
Crooks & Features
- Botanical name: Oleacea europaea
- Native grown in mediterrannean area
- One plant can live till 1'000 year !
- Olive tree in pot is completely suitable, which even makes it one of the favorite shrubs for the terrace or balcony.
- Poorer the soil is, the less water it retains, and the more the olive tree will be able to resist the cold.
- Potted tree grown in QUEBEC so please note the rendering of the plant may vary depending on the time of year !
- Fully grown, Alive & Healthy :)
- Low maintenance and great for beginner green thumb!
- Small size: Around 12inch (30cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf.
- Medium size: Around 30inch (75cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf.
Large size: Around 60inch (150cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf. (Only available at JEAN-TALON MARKET May to September)
- X-Large size: Around 90inch (230cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf. (Only available at JEAN-TALON MARKET May to September)
The base of the plant can see a little shade, but the head of the plant require full sun to ensure that the plant blooms properly! If too much shade is given to the plant, the fruit will not do well.
As it is a pot, the soil dries out quickly so it is advisable to water regularly but without excess because it remains a drought-resistant plant. Count on a weekly watering in summer and a small watering every 15 days in winter. Watering is important, especially at the beginning, so that it develops its root system correctly. But be careful, in winter the water can become worse than freezing!
To ensure that the growth is properly, give it some fertilizer one time per month during the active growing season (May to July). During the cold winter months, you will want to stop feeding your plant for a few months (September to April).
Olive trees grown in greenhouses need to be pruned in the spring, by removing rebellious, spindly, frozen or unsightly branches in order to promote a harmonious structure. Anyway, the olive tree can withstand severe pruning if necessary.
Watch out for the arrival of winter! Some claim that the olive tree supports -10°C, however it is better to avoid that it knows temperatures going down below -5°C when it is young. The older it gets, the more resistant it will be to cold. If you have a greenhouse or a cool, bright room, overwinter your olive tree there. Otherwise, you will have to protect it by covering it completely, including the pot to protect the roots, with a winter veil. Don't worry if it loses a few leaves, it's normal ;)
Ok for your furry friends ;)
Benefits with our HAPPY ROOTZ growing system...
100% recycled from ocean plastic and crushed quartz stone, our HAPPY ROOTZ grow systems are stylish, impact resistant, let the roots breathe which produces powerful roots and are guaranteed for 10 years! Little more, you can use them outdoors as well as indoors. See our HAPPY ROOTZ Growing System solutions for awesome potted plants...