THIS!... is the most awesome "FIG TREES" from the Ficus carica family for MONTREAL climate !
Ahhhh … the fabulous fig tree! There’s a handful of reasons these beauties were one of the first fruit trees cultivated in ancient times and why they still remain so popular with homeowners for both their fruits and as an ornamental tree.
The history of the fig tree is long and deeply-rooted. Stemming back to biblical times, figs were one of the first foods consumed by civilization and one of the first foods cultivated. Native to Asia and the Mediterranean fig trees were brought to North America by the Spanish settlers in the early 16th century.
In today’s culture, they are known for their showy, abundant fruit and large-leafed trees that create incredible shade canopies :)
Crooks & Features
- Botanical name: Ficus carica
- Native grown in Mediterranean climate
- Potted tree grown in QUEBEC so please note the rendering of the plant may vary depending on the time of year !
- Fully grown, Alive & Healthy :)
- Fruit Color: Yellow greenish or Violet reddish fruit with amber or purple flesh
- Self-pollinating. Ready to eat around August to September (Montréal Area)
- Grower's difficulty level (2/5): Low maintenance and easy for fruit tree beginner!
- Small size: Around 12inch (30cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf.
- Medium size: Around 30inch (75cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf.
Large size: Around 60inch (150cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf. (Only available at JEAN-TALON MARKET May to September)
- X-Large size: Around 90inch (230cm) in overall height, from bottom of pot to top leaf. (Only available at JEAN-TALON MARKET May to September)
!Take Notes - In winter time, Figs Tree are dormant with no leafs! Still important note, the fig trees don't need lights on dormant stage! On summer time Figs Tree require full sun all day to ripen palatable fruits. If you have a garden or a balcony, don't hesitate to take your plant out on sunny days, but don't forget to shelter it in winter!
Young fig tees should be watered regularly until fully established. In summer/spring, we recommend frequent watering of 2 to 3 watering per week. In winter/autumn, water every 20 to 30 days. It is important to keep the soil slightly moist, no more.
All fig trees will drop her leaves on temperatures between 3°C and 8°C (debuting the dormant stage). It can tolerate temperatures down to 2°C during the winter. BUT, Don't forget to bring it inside! Or they will die!
Add regular liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks during the grow period (May to July).
When is establish in the pot, figs grow vigorous. The trimming can be done in dormant stage.
Weeping Fig Tree – are toxic to cats and dogs, causing dermatitis from skin contact (like for humans) with the plant, and oral irritation, excessive drooling, and vomiting if ingested! BUT don't be afraid, cats and dog are not fully attracted by the smell that fig's give off ;)
Benefits with our HAPPY ROOTZ growing system...
100% recycled from ocean plastic and crushed quartz stone, our HAPPY ROOTZ grow systems are stylish, impact resistant, let the roots breathe which produces powerful roots and are guaranteed for 10 years! Little more, you can use them outdoors as well as indoors. See our HAPPY ROOTZ Growing System solutions for awesome potted plants...